[nSLUG] Wireless USB compatibility

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Mon Dec 12 01:37:41 AST 2005

On Sun, 2005-12-11 at 21:44 -0400, Rick Wightman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm looking at installing linux with a wireless USB device for a
> friend. I haven't seen the hardware yet, but am told that it's made by
> LinkSys. I know enough about USB to be wary. Hardware compatibility
> listings are incomplete and LinkSys didn't offer any insight either.
> All stories: warnings, gotchas, dreamlike installs welcome...

Dealing with USB, I'd use the 2.6 kernels if you can.
I've been using the USB for my camera, printer, and other devices.
It's definitely much better in 2.6.  2.4 had some issues.

As for which module you'll need, its really a 50/50 choice. :)
either ohci or uhci depends on who the vendor of the chipset is.
I think there was an issue loading both these modules in 2.4, but in 2.6
no more issues.

I'd try ohci if you cannot find the vendor info on the chipset, seems to
work with most USB cards and motherboard adapters.  Once you load one of
these drivers, check dmesg for kernel messages.  You will see the name
of you USB device if it recognized it.  It will also setup some proc
directories:

/proc/bus/usb
"001"/  "002"/  "devices"

devices should show all the info about the usb device

Not sure if your dist installs the usb tool pack that has a few helpful
scripts:

lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

lsusb -v    dumps all the info about the buses

Linksys has been a long time Linux supporter.  Check their website for
the device you are installing, in case it uses a different driver, or
they may offer tips to get it to work.

Is it a 2-port or 4-port USB expansion card?
I think I had a linkSys 4 port card it used ohci.
Forget where its at now, since my wife got a newer pc. :)

Rich

!DSPAM:439d0ba3107681096510218!