[nSLUG] Aliant 1x wirefree service changes??

George N. White III aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca
Sun Dec 11 18:18:58 AST 2005

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005, Scott Syms wrote:

> Anyone using Aliant's 1x wirefree mobility services with Linux in NS?
>
> It was working for the longest time & now I'm getting CHAP rejections when I
> do PPP.  Weekend support at Aliant couldn't tell me if anything's changed.
> Any one else notice anything?

Before I switched to Eastlink I was used to Aliant randomly turning off
landline phone service, but my cell has been working continuously for
years even when Aliant was claiming I hadn't paid my bill in over 6
months.

With all the ice and power hits over the weekend, it wouldn't be
surprising if some systems broke.  The cell infrastructure is getting to
the age where antennas, batteries, and generators will be getting tired,
especially considering the workout the latter get at the hands of NSPC.
With the intense competition in the cell phone market and lack of
meaningful regulation, we can expect reliability to suffer.

> The cell bill is paid up, I swear.

You may know that you paid the bills, and the money may have been taken
out of your account, but there can be many slips between accounts
receivable and the status of a particular account.  They may have
accidently changed the service levels for you account.

My experience has been that paying my Aliant bill (by debit card at an
Aliant office) doesn't guarantee that my account is credited with the
payment, even after verifying with the bank that payment was taken out of
my account.  In my case, it took a letter to the CRTC to get action.
Curiously, Aliant told the CRTC that my phone service had been terminated
although it continued to work for months after the date they claimed it
had been cut off.

--
George N. White III  <aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca>

!DSPAM:439ca5f898409457031714!