[nSLUG] ubuntu 5.1

Stephen Gregory nslug at kernelpanic.ca
Sat Dec 10 21:15:13 AST 2005

On Sat, Dec 10, 2005 at 08:10:15PM -0400, Rich wrote:

> hmm  I haven't dabbled with ubuntu, but this setup would make me very
> nervous.  Just don't like sudo at all.  Reminds too much of a windows
> environment, where everything is writable or breakable.

sudo setups are perfectly safe. It is a better way to manage root
access. It forces the user/administrator to think before using root
permissions. Sudo has been around for many years. It is well tested
and the security risks are well understood.

A windows environment is completely different. Windows encourages (all
but forces) users to run as a superuser/administrator all the time.

--
sg

!DSPAM:439b7da469171914647879!