[nSLUG] ubuntu 5.1

Jack Warkentin jwark at eastlink.ca
Sat Dec 10 20:11:53 AST 2005

Hi Matt

On December 10, 2005 11:08 am, you wrote:

> P.S. after a while I may venture into the other distros to learn
> more. This seems to be a good beginner start. Without the usual
> distro war, what would be a good stepping stone, maybe debian (which
> I think ubuntu is based on) slackware, suse?

Kubuntu is a bit "non-standard" when it comes to Linux distributions.
For example, they have modified Konqueror to remove the so-called
"navigation pane". And the mechanisms they put in place to prevent
"normal" root manipulations seem ill thought out. They offer a list
of half a dozen or so "benefits of leaving root disabled by default"
that just don't cut it, as far as I am concerned. One of the first
things anyone using GNU/Linux must learn is the difference between
the superuser and other users. Why try to push this into the
background and leave people frustrated because they can't properly
administer their systems?

One *really* big deficiency is the lack of documentation provided with
the install system. I downloaded the AMD64 version of the
"evaluation" iso DVD image and found only a very brief introduction.
The important stuff, such as how to perform root-type administration
functions has to be searched for on a wiki.

I tried Kubuntu 5.10 because it had received a lot of positive reviews
and because I was looking for an up-to-date AMD64-based distro that
would have the necessary smarts to configure my wireless G card. It
is way behind in the wireless configuration world, as it only
supports WEP and not the WPA and WPA2 that have been around for at
least a year.

If you are looking for a more "mainstream" distro that is easy to
install, use, administer and learn I highly recommend Libranet. Their
URL is http://www.libranet.com/. As explained on their home page they
are not taking orders for Libranet 3.0 but Libranet 2.8.1 is freely
available by download. Or, if you live in or near Halifax I have 3.0
on both CD (5 volumes) and DVD.

Regards

Jack

Jack Warkentin, phone 902-404-0457, email jwark at eastlink.ca