[nSLUG] ubuntu 5.1

J. Paul Bissonnette jpaulb at eastlink.ca
Fri Dec 9 20:46:42 AST 2005

matt parker wrote:

> New User Question:
>
> Just installed ubuntu on one of my windows boxes (dual boot). I want
> to change the order that grub loads the operating systems. I want
> windows first as a choice so my kids can just turn it on and not have
> to worry about a choice. I think I have to change the menu.lst file in
> the grub folder. the problem is I do not know how to login as root in
> ubuntu!!! I was not given a choice to set up that account during
> setup. The only choice I had was for a user account.  As a normal user
> account I only have read only access. What can I do?
>
> Matt

>!DSPAM:439a179b35536506629499!

Find /boot/grub/menu.lst, it is some where there
I'll try and help. I do not use ubuntu I'm only guessing at login. open
a terminal, su, root password then in an editor VI or nano, what ever
edit menu.lst (you did a backup first?)  Add the entry for windows above
your Linux entry,  remember *Default* is a keyword. that should work.

## entry: title(Windows NT/2000/XP on hd0,0) root(hd0,0) chain
# set windoze to default
title            Windoze 2000 Default
root             (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader      +1

Grub disk start at '0' not '1'  your first partition on your first hdd
is where Windows resides is (hd0,0) note '()' are necessary

--

J. Paul Bissonnette
http://canadian-dream.com

!DSPAM:439a255537072138116133!