[nSLUG] Re: MAC-address/router question

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Fri Dec 9 04:43:10 AST 2005

> SunOS/Solaris and Linux can assign any MAC to any network device.

What would I read to learn about this?  About how this is done?

Either I'm only partially getting this or I know something that ain't
so.  If a device comes out of the box with a MAC address printed on
it, I infer that it's coded in the hardware.  As well, I infer from
/etc/rc.d/rc.wireless.conf that some bits of the MAC address identify
the mfgr/vendor which in turn implies a hard-coded value.  Do you mean
by "assign any MAC", creating a virtual or spoofed MAC address known
to the OS and mapped by the OS onto the "real", hard-coded MAC?  I
don't quite see how that would work.

> The cable modem should have its own MAC.
> The router should have a WAN and LAN MAC address.
> If its wireless add another MAC for WLAN.
> Was this a new router?  if not , maybe it was an prior config.

No. D-Link DI-713P (DL-713P?) from a junk bin.  Has 3 ethernet ports,
WAN port, "com" port, printer port and antennae.  And there's no
cable connection, not a cable router, I'm too far off the beaten path
to have cable.  I do dialup via an external modem connected to a
desktop computer, not via the router.  The router just makes it
possible to move stuff between 3 boxen in the house and 1 in the shop.

Well, I think my question is answered, regardless of the matter of
changing a MAC. Separate functions/modalities of the router have
separate hardware devices and thus separate MAC addresses.

Thanks,
- Mike

                                                           /V\

!DSPAM:4399435811035833321566!