[nSLUG] Re: MAC-address/router question

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Fri Dec 9 01:29:58 AST 2005

me> My router's web-based admin interface says its MAC address is
me> xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:1F.

rmckay> Does it say which MAC address?

No.  And it only mentions one.

rmckay> The ethernet and radio interfaces certainly will have
rmckay> different MAC addresses (although they are likely to be close
rmckay> to each other if they were both allocated by the same
rmckay> manufacturer).

So:

    + The radio interface of the router that my wireless card accesses and

    + The cable ethernet interface of the same router that my cabled
      boxes access

will "certainly have different MAC addresses"?  Do I have that right?

Huh.  I didn't know that.  Never even thought of it.  I guess it makes
sense.  I was thinking of the router ethernet interface as a single
device that could do ethernet over either cable or radio.  From what
you say, that's the wrong concept.  Guess I need to read some RFCs on
how wireless works.

Thanks,
- Mike

                                                           /V\