[nSLUG] MAC-address/router question

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Fri Dec 9 00:11:34 AST 2005

Just noticed:

My router's web-based admin interface says its MAC address is
xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:1F.

I have a laptop talking to it by wireless.  iwconfig on that machine
says "Access Point: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:20".  If I start tcpdump, I see "arp
reply <router-name is-at xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:20.

The x's all match correctly.  The router isn't connected to the
outside net, just to 1 to 4 local machines and a printer.  Everything
seems to be working fine. (And out here in the boonies, it's extremely
unlikely that anyone is piggy-backing on my wireless and messing with
it.) All Slack 10.1 and 2.4 kernel.

What explains the off-by-one MAC address discrepancy?  I though MAC
addresses were fixed.

- Mike

                                                           /V\

!DSPAM:43990352327671635615718!