[Fwd: [nSLUG] Ubuntu 5.10]

Artson artson at hotpop.com
Sat Dec 3 16:40:49 AST 2005

On 3 Dec 2005 at 9:03, Ben Armstrong wrote:

> Yes, I'm well aware.  Yet my observation is valid: most nSLUG members
> have broadband and have burners, so few nSLUG members would take
> Preston up on his kind offer.

> But you could just as well say "I find those in the Linux community to
> be blind to the fact that not all users have CD-ROM drives".  It is a
> matter of focusing your product on a particular market, isn't it?  I
> feel your pain.  I, too wish there were one distribution that installs
> on a huge range of hardware via a huge range of installation methods,
> including dialup and floppy (*cough*[1]).

 Well, thanks for the empathy anyway Ben. Still,
http://www.websiteoptimization.com/bw/0506/ says 77% of Canadians and
only 57% of Americans have broadband access. Sounds about right to me.
Ubuntu and its users spend a lot of effort proselytizing and make great use of
the distribution's African roots - what proportion of Africans have broadband
access I wonder?

I think it comes down more to sloppiness and lack of understanding that
Ubuntu doesn't make the effort to correctly deduce that if there is no NIC and
there is a modem, then it's quite likely that the user will require an internet
dialer....

I'm probably beating a dead horse, but it mystifies me that a Linux distribution
that so desperately wants to be popular and successful will leave out so many
users because they can't be bothered to make the effort. (end of rant)
--

Put your expertise to work,
join the editors at DMOZ

!DSPAM:439202e983453458712837!