[Fwd: [nSLUG] Ubuntu 5.10]

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Sat Dec 3 09:03:06 AST 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-02 at 12:47 -0400, Artson wrote:
> Ben, you will find if you look, that many, many people don't have broadband
> connections to the internet - because they aren't available where they live.  I'm
> one.

Yes, I'm well aware.  Yet my observation is valid: most nSLUG members
have broadband and have burners, so few nSLUG members would take Preston
up on his kind offer.

> Generally, I find those in the Linux community to be blind to this fact and as
> evidence I offer this factoid:
>
> Ubuntu 5.10 installer is still pathalogically blind to modems and comes with
> the distributor's built-in prejudice that the only way the user will connect to the
> internet is through the 'network' with a nic. They don't even bother to offer an
> internet dialer under the menu for Internet.
>
> When I want a new distribution or to upgrade an old distribution - I buy a CD.

But you could just as well say "I find those in the Linux community to
be blind to the fact that not all users have CD-ROM drives".  It is a
matter of focusing your product on a particular market, isn't it?  I
feel your pain.  I, too wish there were one distribution that installs
on a huge range of hardware via a huge range of installation methods,
including dialup and floppy (*cough*[1]).

Ben Armstrong <synrg at DEBIAN dot org>

[1] http://www.debian.org/distrib/floppyinst

!DSPAM:4391978d69251632959734!