[Fwd: [nSLUG] Ubuntu 5.10]

Artson artson at hotpop.com
Fri Dec 2 12:47:30 AST 2005

On 1 Dec 2005 at 11:27, Ben Armstrong wrote:

> Preston,
>
> You'll find that the people who are most interested in physical media
> are those you meet regularly face-to-face and/or who wouldn't have
> otherwise gone through the bother of downloading and burning their own
> copies (or can't because they don't have a burner).

Ben, you will find if you look, that many, many people don't have broadband
connections to the internet - because they aren't available where they live.  I'm
one.

Generally, I find those in the Linux community to be blind to this fact and as
evidence I offer this factoid:

Ubuntu 5.10 installer is still pathalogically blind to modems and comes with
the distributor's built-in prejudice that the only way the user will connect to the
internet is through the 'network' with a nic. They don't even bother to offer an
internet dialer under the menu for Internet.

When I want a new distribution or to upgrade an old distribution - I buy a CD.
--

Put your expertise to work,
join the editors at DMOZ

!DSPAM:4390a05f44902369841620!