[nSLUG] Tired of hurricane news: the hackers called TITAN RAIN

George White aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca
Tue Aug 30 09:56:51 ADT 2005

Quoting Stephen Gregory <nslug at kernelpanic.ca>:

> On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 01:38:52PM -0300, George White wrote:
> >
> > Could this happen in Canada?
>
> yes.

I expect to see Chinese space missions using clones of the Canadarm.

> > Would a Common Services Organization improve
> > information sharing and be better able to run disinformation honeypots
> against
> > this sort of large well-organized attacks?
>
> CanCERT (cancert.ca) exists for the purpose of information sharing and
> incident responce. The federal government attempted to setup a
> critical information protection monitoring service. While a number of
> agencies thought it was a great idea, the plan eventually failed as no
> one could agree who would do the monitoring. There is also a
> reluctance amoung public and private organizations to share
> information of incidents. Information shareing generates bad press,
> and liability problems.

Information shareing is also problematic for anyone running a disinformation
operation.  You run the risk of a leak (e.g., hackers reading emails from a
machine in a group you are sharing with) revealing that you know about the
attacks, leading the hacker to question why your machine full of juicy
information has been wide open for the past 6 months.

--
George N. White III
Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia

!DSPAM:4314578d29184995117908!