[nSLUG] Font sizes, balancing desktop space allocation, GNOME+KDE

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Mon Aug 29 08:23:35 ADT 2005

On Sun, 2005-08-28 at 22:00 -0300, Jack Warkentin wrote:
> Re screen resolution, etc. My desktop system has a 17" flat CRT screen.
> The height of the laptop's screen is just about exactly the same as the
> height of this 17" monitor. I use KDE. On the desktop system I have fonts
> set 12 points for text and 10 for window titles, toolbar text, menu
> text, etc. I can't remember *exactly* what I set the fonts to on the
> laptop, but they were roughly 9 and 7. This brought the width of the
> titlebar down nicely, and on KDE apps, the width of the menubar, toolbars,
> etc were ok.

I see.

> But on Mozilla, for example, these were about twice the height
> of the corresponding items of KDE apps. It felt as if most of the window
> space was taken up by menubars, etc, and not enough left for the bulk
> of the window. Sorry, no screen shot available as I didn't get back to
> my email before removing GNU/Linux from the laptop.

Curious.  Mozilla, not Firefox?  Anyway, I use the GNOME support for
Firefox, and everything works "as expected".  That is, if I set the
"system font" to some value, Firefox will use it.  I guess KDE and GNOME
still have some integration issues to sort out?  I suspect if you ran
all KDE apps or all GNOME apps, things would work the way you expect.

Ben

!DSPAM:4312f033272857975053859!