[nSLUG] Re: more browser idiocy

Donald Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 11:27:35 ADT 2005

There are real issues, not just cosmetic issues around browsers.
Many sites use javascript for business functions on their
site, and javascript is notoriously buggy and inconsistant
from browser to browser. This is especially the case if there
are any cross frame and cross domain things going on,
where many security flaws have come up and some
javascript calls in the browser client are disabled as a way of fixing the
flaw. It can be very difficult to test a web site that
relies on javascript for every single browser brand, and browser
release. If a site does something important, like taking
your Visa card, or registering for a course, you don't want it
to crap out with a bad result, like saying you have paid for
something when the data has been lost, or charging you
twice for something. Testing for the browser and stopping you
from proceeding is a way to protect the user from
a bad result that has usually been observed in web site
testing.

However in the case of the NS motor vehicle
site, it says you can proceed if you want, and I believe
they are just testing for 2 browsers and don't know what
might happen with other types.

--Donald Teed

On 8/27/05, Mike Spencer <mspencer at tallships.ca> wrote:

> > It is not necessary to look over the border, NS
> > gov. web site
> > discriminates against browser that are not M$.
> >
> > http://www.gov.ns.ca/snsmr/rmv/default.asp,
>
> That page comes up okay for me but deeper in, say, looking to register
> a vehicle, I get redirected to:
>
> http://www.gov.ns.ca/snsmr/browser.asp?filename=1
>
> where I'm told "Your browser: Default" and that Netscape > 4 would be
> acceptable. My usual browser is Netscape Navigator 4.76 but sends
> "Walled-City!" as the HTTP_USER_AGENT string (due to a little binary patch
> of the executable.)
>
> That "Walled-City!" string could, hypothetically at least, explain why
> comicspage.com <http://comicspage.com> was returning 403 but doesn't
> explain why they now refuse the
> post 80 connection altogether.
>
> > I do know that some web sites are very particular about the
> > appearances of their pages on their visitors' browsers, and go to
> > some extreme contortions, including selecting what they download to
> > you depending on what browser version you are using,....
>
> Yeah. Heaven forfend that you should just, like, you know man, read
> their text. :-)
>
> - Mike
>
> --
> Michael Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada .~.