[nSLUG] more browser idiocy

Jack Warkentin jwark at eastlink.ca
Sat Aug 27 21:44:07 ADT 2005

Hi Everybody

On August 27, 2005 03:54 pm, J. Paul Bissonnette wrote:

> How is LN 3.0 i'm still using 2.8.1?

On balance I prefer Libranet 3.0 to 2.8.1, which I used for 1 1/2
years.

The installer, as before, is excellent. I would rate it as a slight
improvement as it does not require the reboot part way through that
2.8.1 imposes. I *don't* like the disc partitioning system (in either
version), as it displays partition sizes in megabytes instead of
cylinders. However, I got around that by opening a command line and
using fdisk. Also, 3.0 already included ATI's fglrx binary driver for
my video card. With 2.8.1 I had to download it from somewhere.

I liked the fact that SMP was available right from the start of
installation. I found this worked well with my hyperthreaded
processor.

I was installing and setting up a wireless router. I could unplug the
eastlink connection from the computer, plug it into the router and
plug the router into the computer (and back again) and hotplug/pump
brought up the interface automatically each time. With 2.8.1 I had to
re-issue the pump command each time as root.

I have a legacy WordPerfect file that I needed recently. It has 3
columns. I remember in 2.8.1 the version of OpenOffice did not
interpret the columnization formatting properly whereas the version
in 3.0 does.

Some administration is now much more difficult, related to udev. Now
that devfs is being replaced by udev I guess we will all have to
learn how to get along with it. I mentioned previously the problem
with the winmodem being configured as a sound card and having to
"blacklist" the associated driver. Well, long before that, not
realizing that there was even such a thing as udev, I cheerfully
symbolically linked /dev/dvd to my ide dvd drive at /dev/hdc and
my /dev/cdrom to my cdrom drive at /dev/hdd. And set up my fstab file
accordingly. Since udev (unbeknownst to me) recreates all such
symbolic links on each reboot I eventually discovered that I got a
"no media" message when I attempted to mount a cdrom in /dev/cdrom.
It turned out that udev had switched the symbolic links around
- /dev/cdrom was now linked to /dev/hdc and /dev/dvd to /dev/hdd.
After considerable rtfm'ing and generally poking around
(unsuccessfully) I tried the Adminmenu. Low and behold there was an
item under "Storage" entitled "Fstab configuration. Configure default
CD-ROM and DVD devices and update the fstab". I set the default cdrom
to hdd and the default dvd to hdc and everything rebooted to the way
I wanted.

The Adminmenu's preferred printer configuration utility is the GNOME
CUPS Manager. This indicated that I could set my own name for my
printer, but whenever I did that, it ignored my choice and reverted
to its own choice. I had no trouble with the CUPS web-based utility.

The Adminmenu has an item to make a boot cdrom (also available during
installation). I have been unable to get this to work. It is not the
CD I am trying to write to because I have successfully written other
stuff to it.

The version of evolution included with 3.0 failed to convert my 2.8.1
evolution files. Since I was not especially fond of evolution I again
conducted an extensive search for an email client that would use mbox
type mail files. (I insist on using mbox format so that, if
necessary, I can go in with vi and remove messages that might contain
dangerous content if opened with a normal email program.) I settled
on kmail, which is acceptable, but not wonderfull. I particularly
like the fact that it displays message structure so you can see if
you are reading an html message. By default, kmail will *not* display
the html, which I like. So many mail clients now use the outlook
arrangement in there main window. Familiarity breeds contempt.

So on balance, as I said, I prefer 3.0. Overall, I think Libranet is
just a *great* product.

Regards

Jack
Jack Warkentin, phone 902-404-0457, email jwark at eastlink.ca