[nSLUG] Re: more browser idiocy

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Sat Aug 27 15:38:37 ADT 2005

> It is not necessary to look over the border,  NS
> gov. web site
> discriminates against browser that are not M$.
>
> http://www.gov.ns.ca/snsmr/rmv/default.asp,

That page comes up okay for me but deeper in, say, looking to register
a vehicle, I get redirected to:

  http://www.gov.ns.ca/snsmr/browser.asp?filename=1

where I'm told "Your browser: Default" and that Netscape > 4 would be
acceptable.  My usual browser is Netscape Navigator 4.76 but sends
"Walled-City!" as the HTTP_USER_AGENT string (due to a little binary patch
of the executable.)

That "Walled-City!" string could, hypothetically at least, explain why
comicspage.com was returning 403 but doesn't explain why they now refuse the
post 80 connection altogether.

> I do know that some web sites are very particular about the
> appearances of their pages on their visitors' browsers, and go to
> some extreme contortions, including selecting what they download to
> you depending on what browser version you are using,....

Yeah.  Heaven forfend that you should just, like, you know man, read
their text.  :-)

- Mike

                                                           /V\

!DSPAM:4310b1be220511308215246!