[nSLUG] Re: Any nsluggers in Valley?

Jack Warkentin jwark at eastlink.ca
Sat Aug 27 14:56:24 ADT 2005

Hi Everybody

On August 26, 2005 09:48 pm, Bob Ashley wrote:

> I'm moving to Berwick next week. Any nsluggers in the Valley area?
>
> I'll be working for the Town office. I envision a small OSS
> pilot project, maybe just a single desktop or two (like, say, my
> desk!) to see if it piques office and council curiosity. The
> objective, of course, would be to save taxpayers' money, and to
> raise consciousness about the OSS alternative.

I think this is a great idea but advise proceeding with caution.
People are notoriously unwilling to change without a very good reason
for doing so. The best way to gain acceptance of FOSS would be for
the customers of your project (ie council members and other council
employees) to observe that (a) it works and (b) it has definite
advantages over the M$ alternative. I would also suggest starting out
in a very low key manner without a lot of fanfare. It it's there and
it's working and people see that it's different and get to wondering
about it, then you can show them its advantages on a one-on-one
basis.

> Part of the pilot might also include distributing free OSS to
> employees/officials for their home machines.

Again, I would advise caution. Once a GNU/Linux system is installed
and working anyone who has used M$ Windows can use it (assuming the
system is running KDE or something similar). But installing and
getting everything working can be a real challenge.

Example. I just bought a cheapy laptop computer at Zellers for $799. I
had a lot of trouble getting the sound card to work. The reason was
two-fold. First, the hardware detection software was picking the
winmodem up and setting it up as a sound card. Second, because
hotplug detected the winmodem before the proper sound card, udev was
assigning it device files dsp, etc, and the proper sound card was
assigned dsp1, etc. The sound programs all were trying to use dsp.

I found a way to prevent the problem by listing the name of the driver
assigned to the winmodem in a "blacklist" file (that wasn't
documented except within the file itself) in the hotplug
configuration directory.

I would guess it took me at least 20 hours to come up with this
preventative. (I don't call it a solution. A solution would be to
find a way of specifying that that particular device must be assigned
some specific driver.) Giving an inexperienced user a set of
installation CD's and telling him to give it a try could be
exceedingly frustrating for a potential devotee.

Remember the hare and the tortoise and give it your best.

(By the way, I still have not been able to get music CD's to play on
this machine. I am also having a great deal of difficulty getting
used to the 1024 x 768 resolution - the titlebar, menubar, toolbars,
etc, take up so much space that there is not enough left for the bulk
of the window. I plan on returning it to Zellers before the 30 days
are up.)

Regards

Jack

Jack Warkentin, phone 902-404-0457, email jwark at eastlink.ca