[nSLUG] more browser idiocy

Jack Warkentin jwark at eastlink.ca
Sat Aug 27 13:52:57 ADT 2005

Hi Everybody

On August 27, 2005 09:05 am, J. Paul Bissonnette wrote:

> It is not necessary to look over the border,  NS  gov. web site
> discriminates against browser that are not M$.
>
> http://www.gov.ns.ca/snsmr/rmv/default.asp,
>
> /
> The service that you are attempting to use requires that your
> browser meets the following conditions. Please see below for what is
> not currently present on your computer. Your browser: Opera 8.0
>
> If you believe that you have encountered this page in error, or that
> your browser meets the above conditions, continue to your selected
service.

> For more information about browser settings and configuration,
please click here.

> Otherwise, please upgrade your browser and visit us again

I just tried the Mozilla version 1.7.6 and Opera version 7.54 browsers
that were included with Libranet 3.0 on the above Nova Scotia SNSMR
web site and they both worked just fine.

I do know that some web sites are very particular about the
appearances of their pages on their visitors' browsers, and go to
some extreme contortions, including selecting what they download to
you depending on what browser version you are using, to try to get
the displays "just right". The reason for your rejection by the above
SNSMR web site may have something to do with that.

Regards

Jack
Jack Warkentin, phone 902-404-0457, email jwark at eastlink.ca

!DSPAM:4310995e216126058218686!