[nSLUG] Re: more browser idiocy

George White aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca
Sat Aug 27 08:05:55 ADT 2005

Quoting Mike Spencer <mspencer at tallships.ca>:

> > I can't understand what a website would (or even thinks they) gain from
> > restricting it to just the US.
>
> I can see a PHB deciding that their market for Solid-State Eutectic
> Pre-Cambrian Blivet Annunciators was all in the US so that would be a
> good way to save on bandwidth.  Clever but stupid.

They may want to sell Canadian marketing rights to a 3rd party and force
you to go thru the 3rd party's server.

Companies with a Canadian presence can't just send everyone to the US server --
they have to provide equal access for francophone clients, but US customers
dn't want to see that page asking them to choose French or English.  They
should just redirect non-US connections to the appropriate page.

If the problem was bandwidth they could allow non-US connections when the load
was low.  I use a NASA ftp server that limits each "site" to 2 connections, so
I sometimes run into conflicts with other users that share our firewall.  Some
US gov't servers appear to limit non-US connections when busy, although it
could be something timing out for distant clients when things are busy.  The
logs show US sites downloading files at times when I can't get a connection and
there are no other connections from non-US sites.

I think there is an attitude that most attackers are based outside the US, so
limiting connections to US-only might be done for "security" reasons.

--
George N. White III
Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia

!DSPAM:4310490f204831453130337!