[nSLUG] Hiring: System Administrator

Jamie Fifield jamie at fifield.ca
Mon Aug 15 15:25:09 ADT 2005

Again, the official post can be found on infointeractive.com/careers/

Our convenient location in the heart of Bedford, Nova Scotia, has lots
of local eateries, shops, parks, a nearby gym and free parking. You
can choose an easy reverse commute from Halifax or ample housing
opportunities outside the city. We are proud of our high levels of
productivity in a friendly team environment where we learn something
new every day, work hard and have a lot of fun while respecting a
healthy balance between work and home life. We offer competitive
salaries and excellent benefits. In Progress magazine, our employees
ranked us the #1 IT company to work for in Atlantic Canada.

Check out the excitement of contributing to products at the leading
edges of technology with a worldwide impact reaching millions of
customers!

Position Overview:

System Administrators perform on-operating system and software
installations and maintenance, respond to partner and customer support
calls and assist with proactive monitoring of IIA/AOL/partner's
fielded servers.

Education Experience:

    * Bachelor of Computer Science, or equivalent community college
    * program with experience
    * 3-4 Years Knowledge of Unix operating systems, preferably
    * Solaris or Linux
    * 2-3 Years Knowledge of TCP/IP networking, routing
    * Familiarity with Web Authoring in a Unix environment including
    * developing CGI tools
    * Demonstrated experience with C/C++
    * Customer Service training is desirable
    * Familiarity with telephony products/protocols, Voice over IP
    * technology

Personal Attributes:

The successful candidate will demonstrate the ability to think and act
quickly under pressure, ability to react and organize several
simultaneous tasks with varying degrees of importance. Excellent
problem solving abilities are required as this position acts as a
technical resource to our front-line customers. Willingness to learn
new technology.

Working Conditions:

    * Regular Work Week, overtime will be required during new product
    * roll outs, software reconfigurations, to cover other employees
    * etc.
    * Work in a regular office environment
    * Must be willing to work as part of an on-call rotation (1 in 4
    * weeks)
    * Travel to support product activities may be required, at least
    * quarterly each year

Responsibilities:

    * Resolving customer/partner problems according to the procedures
    * to be defined by the Team Leader.
    * Acting as the lead system administrator on specific software
    * installs or reconfigurations and coordinating the activities of
    * other system administrators within the team to complete the
    * assigned tasks.
    * Assisting customers (both internal and external) to diagnose and
    * resolve reported operational or configuration issues in a
    * timely, appropriate fashion.
    * Unix system configuration and routine maintenance, upgrades etc.
    * Providing detailed software and problem solving support to
    * resolve problems detected by customer support representatives,
    * or through automated monitoring processes.
    * Escalating problems to the appropriate personnel based on IIA's
    * escalation procedures
    * Participating in onsite deployment and commissioning of custom
    * hardware and software.
    * Assisting the Operations team to maintain accurate documentation
    * for the following activities:
          o On-site testing and commissioning
          o Checklists for service outages
          o Procedures for diagnosing and resolving common problems
          o Other customer information relevant to deployed systems
    * Working in as an "on-call" support technician after normal
    * business hours to respond to critical operational problems.
    * Proactively maintaining broad general knowledge of IIA's/AOL's
    * Voice products.
    * Reporting to the Senior Manager of Operations in a timely
    * fashion on any issues affecting the operating efficiency of the
    * company's internal systems, networks, security and ability to
    * maintain our 99.98% service uptime goal.
    * Other tasks as assigned by the Senior Manager of Operations.

Instructions to Applicants:

Interested candidates meeting the above criteria are invited to apply
by e-mail to admin at infointeractive.com by August 17, 2005. Please cite
Job Number: 42053BR and provide a copy of your resume. InfoInterActive
thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview
will be contacted.

Okay, if this is your kind of thing, feel free Cc me on your email to
admin at infointeractive.com as instructed above.  Internal referrals are
better than not (and hey, I get a referral bonus if you accept an
offer).  And because I want to see local linux folks employed, if you
have questions I'll try my best to answer them, but bear in mind I am
not directly involved in the hiring process for these positions.
I will try to respond quickly but work is extremely busy, please be
aware of the closing date identified in the posting above.

--
Jamie Fifield
<jamie at fifield.ca>

!DSPAM:4300d93016896101734977!