[nSLUG] Hiring: Network Operations Center (NOC) Analysts

Jamie Fifield jamie at fifield.ca
Mon Aug 15 15:22:32 ADT 2005

They posted the following while I was on vacation last week.  I
thought some of the crew here may be interested.

Official job posting copied and pasted from
infointeractive.com/careers/

We are AOL Halifax, also known locally as InfoInterActive or IIA. We
have built our reputation with pioneering work inventing, developing,
deploying, and supporting innovative communications products that link
telephone and wireless networks with the Internet. Our original,
patented product is Internet Call Manager (ICM), sold directly and
through telephone companies such as Aliant, Telus, Verizon and Sprint
and on its merits we were acquired by AOL in 2001. Since then we have
become AOL's Voice Products Development, QA, and Operations
organization. Our latest product is AOL's Internet Phone Service.

Our convenient location in the heart of Bedford, Nova Scotia, has lots
of local eateries, shops, parks, a nearby gym and free parking. You
can choose an easy reverse commute from Halifax or ample housing
opportunities outside the city. We are proud of our high levels of
productivity in a friendly team environment where we learn something
new every day, work hard and have a lot of fun while respecting a
healthy balance between work and home life. We offer competitive
salaries and excellent benefits. In Progress magazine, our employees
ranked us the #1 IT company to work for in Atlantic Canada.

Check out the excitement of contributing to products at the leading
edges of technology with a worldwide impact reaching millions of
customers!

AOL Halifax is immediately seeking to fill openings for several
full-time and part-time Network Operations Center (NOC) Analysts and
Systems Administrators. Job-specific training will be provided.
Responsibilities:

Successful candidates will be responsible for monitoring commercial
grade telephony, data and VoIP networks supporting over one million
subscribers, calmly responding and taking action in critical
conditions as necessary to maintain service. In addition to ongoing
monitoring duties, NOC Analysts are required to proactively observe
statistical trends and assist in developing and documenting new
processes and procedures to improve monitoring where possible.

Skills Required:

    * Solid understanding of networking protocols including IP based
    * networks
    * Functional knowledge of UNIX with some introductory knowledge of
    * systems administration
    * Must demonstrate the ability to learn quickly and have good
    * analytical skills
    * Good written and verbal communication skills

Skills Desired:

    * Familiarity with database concepts and telephony an asset
    * Unix shell scripting or software development abilities a strong
    * asset

Education/Equivalent Experience:

    * Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or a related field, or a
    * combination of accredited training and 2+ years of appropriate
    * experience. Candidates for Part-time positions will be
    * considered if they are completing their bachelor's degree in
    * computer science.

Unique Requirements:

    * Must be willing to work in a 24x7x365 operations environment and
    * be available for various weekday, weekend, holiday and
    * after-hours shift work with a schedule set well in advance
    * May require participation in a pager/on-call rotation
    * Must be willing to travel periodically to the United States and
    * possibly abroad
    * Must be available for occasional overtime as required to fulfill
    * schedule requirements

Instructions to Applicants:

Please note that only candidates who demonstrate all requirements for
education and unique skill requirements will be contacted for an
interview. Please indicate in your covering letter the following:

    * Preference for full or part-time employment
    * Preferences for evening, weekend or overnight shifts

Interested candidates meeting the above criteria are invited to apply
by e-mail to admin at infointeractive.com by August 19, 2005. Please cite
Job Number: 46441BR and provide a copy of your resume. InfoInterActive
thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview
will be contacted.

Okay, if this is your kind of thing, feel free Cc me on your email to
admin at infointeractive.com as instructed above.  Internal referrals are
better than not (and hey, I get a referral bonus if you accept an
offer).  And because I want to see local linux folks employed, if you
have questions I'll try my best to answer them, but bear in mind I am
not directly involved in the hiring process for these positions.
I will try to respond quickly but work is extremely busy, please be aware
of the closing date identified in the posting above.

--
Jamie Fifield
<jamie at fifield.ca>

!DSPAM:4300d88e15766178221199!