[nSLUG] Curious httpd log entries...

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Sat Aug 13 08:50:58 ADT 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-12 at 18:18 -0300, Jeff Warnica wrote:
> With the file being sent as text/html, and not being HTML, anyway,
> google would almost definitely not increase the "worth" of those URLs.
>
> If anything, having those strings on a page unrelated to the target of
> the scam, you are negating their efforts.

I have observed that people do not often post the raw access.log, but
rather digest it, particularly to show "referers", which are supposed to
be legitimate references to the site.  Spammers have caught onto this,
and exploit it to post the URLs to their own sites.  This information is
presented, of course, as HTML, not text masquerading as text/html, so it
does have an actual positive effect (or so the spammers hope).

Ben

!DSPAM:42fddeda171931299321289!