[nSLUG] nsLUG and Dalhousie

Robert McKay rmckay at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 09:36:42 ADT 2004

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 19:10:46 -0300, Andrew Wong
<andrewmarkwong at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey guys and gals,
>
> The Dalhousie Computer Science Association for Computing Machinery
> (ACM) ( http://torch.cs.dal.ca/~acm/ ) is looking to start up a Linux
> Users Group.

> The first question that springs to mind is," Why start another LUG?"
> Quite simply we would prefer not to start another one. We would
> however like to give a home to the Linux Users Group of Nova Scotia
> (nsLUG). Being hosted on campus, access to the auditorium as well as
> other services are available to the projects based off of nsLUG.
> Provided the current nsLUG users find it acceptable to in a figurative
> way,"move the project" to Dalhousie Computer Science, there would be
> no change in day to day activities of the users and the group as a
> whole, not even the name would change.  With the creation of a home

The Nova Scotia Linux Users Group has a *very* informal structure; other
than the mailing list roster there isn't even an authorative list of members.

Anyone who considers themselves to be a part of nSLUG is.

An event becomes nSLUG related (ie: an nSLUG event) by the involvment and
participation of people who consider themselves members of nSLUG.

There isn't really anything to 'move' to anywhere nor  is there anyone
to agree/disagree to this request, nor do you require anyone's
approval to proceed.

> for the LUG we can organize conferences and demos for individuals, for
> projects that work with linux and bring in the business world of Nova
> Scotia to the linux platform, in a central meeting place.

You're already free to do this and solicit help for specific projects from
other nSLUG members.

> The benefits to having a physical location and focal point for nsLUG
> would be tremendous.  As the project will be housed in the Computer
> Science building, nsLUG users will have a place to meet, plan events,
> and most of all play with the operating system we all enjoy so much.
> Organizers and small groups will be able to book meeting rooms and
> have access to the facilities provided in the building. What kind of
> events will we be capable of hosting?

> Presently I would like to have a small conference of sort in February.
> The purpose?  To show off the flexibility of the linux system and the
> ease of use.  The plan? Have linux users come in to show off projects
> on linux systems (e.g. Spam filters, Intrusion Detection Systems,
> GAMES *cough*). Anything is possible, even your home brewed projects!
> If the group is willing to join up with the ACM group at Dalhousie, we
> can get the space required at almost no cost.

The nSLUG itself does not have any money. There are no membership dues.
The (minimal) costs of running this mailinglist and website have been met by
contributions from various members (donated servers, bandwidth, hardware,
etc.). Any costs for would need to be recovered by you from whichever
individuals were involved with the specific activity.

> Is there a catch? A slight one, in order for this to become an ACM
> Dalhousie Computer Science project there needs to be a Dalhousie
> Student running it.  By no means does this mean that they are the
> voice of the LUG.  The idea is to create an organization committee
> which will be the front for the group.  They will handle matters such
> as meetings, conferences and organizing the parties *grin*. This is
> volunteer only, the funding would be used for the events themselves. I
> would like to be the contact point for the LUG at Dalhousie,
> figuratively the head of the committee, with no more say than the rest
> of the group.

That's probably a sensible way to proceed. One thing you could perhaps
do is request access to the wiki and set up a 'dalhousie coordination
committee' area on the nslug.ns.ca homepage. It'd be good to get some
new content on there :)

I think many of the members here would be interested in attending and
participating in lectures and other Linux related events at Dalhousie. I
know many people here are already associated in some way with the
university anyway.

Robert McKay

!DSPAM:415bfddb210687052614214!