[nSLUG] Digression Re: Swap file silly question!

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Thu Sep 30 10:34:11 ADT 2004

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004, Peter Cordes wrote:

>  It's an ugly hack necessitated by crappy x86 BIOS limitations.  On machines
> where those limitations are long gone, it's a waste of time to ever have to
> think about there being a /boot partition, or worry about how big it is.

Ehhh... hmmm. Not just x86, PA-Risc boxes need it (cf palo/type F0
partitions) and also Sun boxen (I think - none of mine are powered up at
the mo to check).

>  I seem to recall something stupid about old DOS not working except on hda1.
> Or maybe just the first DOS partition.  Other than that, no problem.  Make
> sure you mark the partition as "bootable".  DOS likes it's C: to have that.

It has to be on the first drive in a non-logical parition in a partition
marked bootable. That said, you can use lilo to frig with the bios
settings and make drive 0x81 appear as drive 0x80 (oh you lucky lucky kids
who don't have to worry about this). Win2K is also similarly tweaky, as I
discovered recently setting up a dual boot box for someone else.

Cheers... Dop.

!DSPAM:415c0b57216881113656757!