[nSLUG] Time to upgrade the server OS...

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Wed Sep 22 08:51:33 ADT 2004

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004, George White wrote:

> Quoting Dop Ganger <nslug at fop.ns.ca>:
>
> > Why would a webserver need KDE or Gnome? Why would a firewall need a
> > graphical interface? Why would a backup MX server need portmap installed?
>
> Real soon now(TM) X-servers based on Xprint will generate XML directly for
> dynamic sites.
>
> There are many kinds of servers, and people are coming up with new ones
> all the time.  Many of the tools used (Matlab, IDL) to write code for
> complex processing to produce dynamic web pages (remote sensing is a good
> example), simulations, etc. have graphics capabilities that may be hard
> to avoid (e.g. because they use X to render fonts so getting rid of the
> X-server would require developing a parallel font rasterizing subsystem).

Just because a set of some web servers are capable of using features such
as Xprint doesn't necessarily mean that all web servers need to have KDE
or Gnome, though. Firewalls don't (should not) need to run Matlab. Backup
MX servers don't need to render fonts to relay mail. It seems to me that a
lot of people are forgetting that one of the primary principles of
security is to have only the services running that are absolutely
necessary, and not to install services that are not required since they
only increase risk.

</hobbyhorse>

Cheers... Dop.

!DSPAM:4151674b238591272011805!