[nSLUG] Time to upgrade the server OS...

George White aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca
Tue Sep 21 17:44:18 ADT 2004

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, M Taylor wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 19, 2004 at 12:26:40PM -0300, Jamie Fifield wrote:
> >
> > It's not just binary config formats, it's comments like "This should
> > never be edited by hand".  I'm reading the SAG for RedHat AS3, and a
> > lot of the configuration is done via X.  The documentation even says
> > to not edit certain files by hand.  Well thank you very much, how am
> > I supposed to configure dozen's of them remotely?
> >
> > I think Debian will always maintain GUI configuration as optional
> > because, unlike what RedHat believes, some of us use Linux for servers
> > and don't want to install X.

But it is getting harder and harder to avoid.  On the one hand you have
production apps that require a working X-server.  At work this was a
big headache until we put more workstations on reliable power.  Some
sites install a virtual frame buffer X-server, but you have deal with
lots of configuration issues (fonts, icons, etc.) to make it all work
on a machine that wasn't configured for X and has no graphics hardware.

> X via ssh.
>
> Any redhat box that has not been installed with a heavily customized
> kickstart or packages deleted have XFree86 (or Xorg in case of Fedora
> Core 2 and newer) libraries installed, so you can run the X config
> tools remotely, tunnelling via ssh (which works even via a 128kbps line).

I have a old P90 laptop I use for J-pilot, watching the UPS, etc.  It
used to contain an X-server, but now runs a stripped down configuration
without X.  I only open the case when I need to reboot or the power goes
out.

> How do you configure KDE (or GNOME) without using X remotely? In my
> experience configuring KDE using vi and cp is painful.

How much configuration do these need on the server (computer, not X-)?
Unless you are doing Xvfb tricks most of the configuration should be
on the machine running the X-server.

--
George White <aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca> <gnw3 at acm.org>
189 Parklea Dr., Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia  B3Z 2G6

!DSPAM:41509318218831937417472!