[nSLUG] Time to upgrade the server OS...

Jamie Fifield jamie at fifield.ca
Sun Sep 19 12:26:40 ADT 2004

On Sat, Sep 18, 2004 at 12:25:10AM -0300, Donald Teed wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Sep 2004, Steven R. Baker wrote:
>
> >I meant admin.  When people say "Hey, what's the best GNU/Linux dist?" I
> >say "Debian!" and when they say "Which one should I use?" I say
> >"Something else!"

Heh, that was genuinely funny.  Funny because it's true.

> The key issue, is whether the configuration *remains accessible*
> in plain text files that a human can tweak if needed.
> No databases, and no binary config formats should crept into
> how a Linux box is configured and maintained.

It's not just binary config formats, it's comments like "This should
never be edited by hand".  I'm reading the SAG for RedHat AS3, and a
lot of the configuration is done via X.  The documentation even says
to not edit certain files by hand.  Well thank you very much, how am
I supposed to configure dozen's of them remotely?

I think Debian will always maintain GUI configuration as optional
because, unlike what RedHat believes, some of us use Linux for servers
and don't want to install X.

--
Jamie Fifield
<jamie at fifield.ca>