[nSLUG] installing firefox

George White aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca
Sat Sep 18 20:01:36 ADT 2004

Quoting Peter Cordes <peter at cordes.ca>:

> On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 05:27:03PM -0300, Donald Teed wrote:
> >
> > Oh, and I tried aptitude.  It has the same problem
> > as dselect for the interface to search and
> > locate packages to install.  It works but it
> > is klunky, at least to me.
>
>  I like it far better than dselect, because I never accidentally hit g and
> make it do a bunch of stuff I wasn't expecting.  w/ dselect, I think you hit
> space or return to take the selected actions, which is easy to do by
> mistake, or by muscle memory, when you just wanted to look at a package in
> more detail.
>
> > Xandros' solution
> > called Xandros Networks, built on top of
> > Konqueror I believe, is nice, especially for
> > Linux newbies.
>
>  You might find  synaptic, or one of the other GUI apt frontends, more to
> your liking.  I know a newbie at work who has succesfully used synaptic to
> install some packages he wanted...

Here is an example of mandrake (supposed to be one of the easiest distros
for beginners to configure) making poor default configuration decisions.
I installed xemacs 21.5.17 because it is supposed to work with
the latest AUCTeX features and because it is more robust than 21.4
(x)emacs on recent Irix releases.  This version of xemacs works on
knoppix, Irix, and even Win32 with few problems, but on Mandrake
the alternate fonts are greyed out because /etc/X11/Xresources in
contains the line: "emacs:font: fixed".  Google reveals that many others have
encountered this problem.

I checked a number of threads, and only a couple got the answer right.
Most "solutions" proposed setting "emacs*font" in ~/.Xresources, but
this only lets you change the selection -- you still can't change fonts
while xemacs is running (e.g., to approximate the font used by a doc's
author).  This is an example where a lowest-common-denominator default
costs functionality in a way that few users can fix properly.

!DSPAM:414cbe58123281858480806!