[nSLUG] installing firefox

Peter Cordes peter at cordes.ca
Sat Sep 18 14:24:10 ADT 2004

On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 05:27:03PM -0300, Donald Teed wrote:

> Oh, and I tried aptitude.  It has the same problem
> as dselect for the interface to search and
> locate packages to install.  It works but it
> is klunky, at least to me.

 I like it far better than dselect, because I never accidentally hit g and
make it do a bunch of stuff I wasn't expecting.  w/ dselect, I think you hit
space or return to take the selected actions, which is easy to do by
mistake, or by muscle memory, when you just wanted to look at a package in
more detail.

> Xandros' solution
> called Xandros Networks, built on top of
> Konqueror I believe, is nice, especially for
> Linux newbies.

 You might find  synaptic, or one of the other GUI apt frontends, more to
your liking.  I know a newbie at work who has succesfully used synaptic to
install some packages he wanted...

--
#define X(x,y) x##y
Peter Cordes ;  e-mail: X(peter at cor , des.ca)

!DSPAM:414c6f3d117611899914259!