[nSLUG] Time to upgrade the server OS...

Steven R. Baker srbaker at pobox.com
Fri Sep 17 22:30:29 ADT 2004

On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 14:09, Peter Cordes wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 11:14:10AM -0300, Steven R. Baker wrote:
> > Personally, I use Debian on everything that I run, and Fedora on
> > anything that I expect !me to *ever* use.  I've even been using Fedora
> > on a personal basis more often lately, too.
>
>  Do you mean ever use, or ever admin?  I run Debian on our cluster at work,
> and the users seem to like it :)  Actually, some non-hackers seem to be
> doing ok with Debian on their desktop machines, even occasionally using
> synaptic to pull in some packages.  (The people I'm thinking of would
> probably be just as lost with Fedora as with Debian if I wasn't around to
> help with problems, though.)

I meant admin.  When people say "Hey, what's the best GNU/Linux dist?" I
say "Debian!" and when they say "Which one should I use?" I say
"Something else!"

Debian is awesome.  I love it for me.  I love it for everyone that uses
it that can manage.  But Debian just isn't ready for Joe average user.
And I'm not sure I want it to.  We may have to sacrifice too much to
appeal to the folks that want a GUI Installer and pretty icons.

-Steven

!DSPAM:414b8fb690011626315990!