[nSLUG] Time to upgrade the server OS...

Peter Cordes peter at cordes.ca
Fri Sep 17 14:31:18 ADT 2004

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 10:04:18PM -0300, Dean Mitchell wrote:
> >- install from Live CD supports creation of software RAID prior to
> >install
> >(ya, someone suggested a way to do it for Debian, but in Gentoo it was
> >easier)

 Knoppix is a good way to install Debian from a live CD.  (see Rick Moen's
Debian installers page for a survey of the field.)

> Software raid is easy to do with the newer (sarge) Debian installer.
> http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/

 Yeah, the installer's ncurses GUI even has support for setting up LVM.  The
AMD64 version didn't work right (I had to switch to a console to prepare LVM
on RAID1 before letting the installer loose), but that might just be AMD64.
The i386 installer set up LVM on a single hard drive no problem.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y
Peter Cordes ;  e-mail: X(peter at cor , des.ca)

!DSPAM:414b1f7976589695866832!