[nSLUG] (2) Bloat & Notice of Upgrades

greg.hamilton at ns.sympatico.ca greg.hamilton at ns.sympatico.ca
Thu Sep 9 20:57:28 ADT 2004

> From: Donald Teed <dteed at artistic.ca>
> Date: 2004/09/09 Thu AM 11:35:34 EST
> To: Nova Scotia Linux User Group <nslug at nslug.ns.ca>
> Subject: Re: [nSLUG] (2) Bloat & Notice of Upgrades
>
> On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, David Potter wrote:
>
> > Thanks everyone... I'm a little surprised that while it was
mentioned a
> > couple of times, SuSe really didn't get as much airplay as I
expected... and
> > Fedora didn't get trashed... ;-)
>
> I don't think we have many Suse users around.  Personally I don't
> like a distro that has only commercial support and no user
community
> on the web (at least no English ones that I could find).

I thought Novell had cranked up some user supported forums, but I
could be wrong.

I'm involved in setting up SuSE 9.1 on a server that will be
providing database services (Oracle), directory services and file
and print services for a small (about 10 users) office.

This is my first experience with SuSE and to be honest, I really
like it. I've been a Slacker since '95, and they will probably have
to pry that distro from my cold dead hands before I would give it up
- but SuSE has definitely grabbed my attention.

In my world (federal government for my day job, and I moonlight a
bit in private sector) the commercial support is a must for a
production environment. Particularly for my private sector clients
as I am on the road a lot.

When and if one of my clients needs something fixed *now*, and I am
1500 miles away, any distro without commercial support is pretty
much a no-go, at least with the general overall quality of the local
tech talent I have met in my town. *But*, there are a number of
techs to choose from that have the ability to sort through an issue
_if they can call a good tech support line to assist_.

And that, folks, is what my private sector clients need when I
literally spend half of my time away.

> As for Redhat/Fedora getting trashed, consider it pre-trashed.

Oooooh yeaaaah..... big time trashed.

> I don't care about hooting for my favorite distro.  I think
> taking on a distro like one's favorite hockey team makes little
> sense.  Pretty much any distro will have its strengths for
> particular purposes, environments, and personal preferences.
> Likewise I don't think one should "shoehorn in" their
> personal favorite for a server in a commercial setting.

I, like most, have my preferences, but I will work with anything
stable. Some distros, though, I wouldn't touch with a barge pole.

> I think many of us will prefer to work with what we know well.
> I've seen this with some Slackware users, and I liken it
> to small engine repair.  They like something that is
> possible to know where every thing is and what each file
> does, and they can tweak it in seconds.  They get
> very comfortable with that environment and anything
> else seems strange and almost "wrong".

<lol> I resemble that remark..... ;)

Yeah, but did you ever notice that if you really have to get
something odd fixed, the experienced Slacker more often that not has
a handle on it? Being forced to do everything by hand means two
things - one, an almost 90 deg. learning curve; two, if you survive
the learning curve, you know how things work under the hood pretty
well. Maybe one has to be a bit of a masochist to put up with the
learning curve, but once it's behind you it's smooth sailing with
almost any distro, after a short "get acquainted" period to
familiarise oneself with a particular distro's idiosyncracies.

> There are advantages to working with the distro you know
> really well, but it shouldn't be done at the cost of not
> suiting the purpose well.  The other option is to bite
> the bullet, evaluate other distros and learn another flavour well.

Amen to that. See above. :)

<deletia>

I think I'm going to like this list. Intelligent conversation is so
hard to find nowadays.

Best regards,

Greg

!DSPAM:4140ee6c134605821020996!