[nSLUG] Time to upgrade the server OS...

Peter Cordes peter at cordes.ca
Wed Sep 8 22:42:39 ADT 2004

On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 06:22:45PM -0300, Jeff MacDonald wrote:

> Gentoo uses "portage" for it's package management system. But the cool
> thing about Gentoo is the WHOLE distro is in the portage. The base
> system layout and all that stuff. So if the gentoo guys move stuff
> around a simple "emerge -U system" fixes taht up. Of course there are
> thigns like "pretend tags" so it will only show you want it intends to
> do. As well you can do emerge -U world which will upgrade all of your
> packages [you can make it ask you.]

 kind of like apt-build world in Debian?  (except that that's not guaranteed
to work, because some packages have wrong build-deps...)  apt-build puts a
perl wrapper around /usr/bin/gcc to add your -march=athlon-xp
-fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math -O3  and so on flags when an env var is
set, so packages get built tuned for your machine.  (Debian build rules
don't include any provision to compile with -fprofile-gen, run, then
recompile with -fprofile-use, though.)

> You can do emerge "package name" to install something and it's
> dependancies much like apt-get in Debian.
>
> etc-update is gentoo's tool that is similar to mergemaster in the bsd
> familys. It's for updating  config files, it's a diff and works quite
> well. rc-update is for adding things to rc start up scripts. it's
> slick.

 Debian's supposed to have a package that lets you merge conffile changes
instead of just choosing old or new, look at the diff, or edit by hand.  It
doesn't seem be used by default...  I haven't read the docs.

> Gentoo does not have versions. If has releases which IMHO are only
> useful for the first install. After that if you keep on top of emerge
> world's your system is always up to date. About the only thing you
> need to take the machine down for is hardware or a kernel.

 Same with Debian testing or unstable.

> My final comment about Gentoo, is that coming from a FreeBSD world, it
> was the only acceptable distribution for me. The package management is
> sweet, but most of all the file system layout is simple, very. Things
> are not strewn about the file system etc. I can only assume this to be
> a common factor for many moderm distro's. I've personnaly just been
> burnt too many times by redhate.

 hehe :)  If the shoe fits, wear it.  I just wanted to point out that with
some effort, Debian can sort of do the things Gentoo is good at.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y
Peter Cordes ;  e-mail: X(peter at cor , des.ca)

!DSPAM:413fb51697381896610980!