[nSLUG] Time to upgrade the server OS...

bdavidso at supercity.ns.ca bdavidso at supercity.ns.ca
Wed Sep 8 17:12:31 ADT 2004

Hi:

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004, Peter Cordes wrote:

> When a lot of packages are involved, always have a look at what it plans to
> do before letting it loose.

Yes, I kind of knew I was playing with fire.  I had previously upgraded a
potato to a woody (man, that sounds odd!) on one of our old servers.  I
remember there was a nice document on the Debian web site describing how
to do this, certain packages first, etc.  It went pretty smoothly, only
one major hiccup.  For my desktop, which is not "mission critical" except
it is where I do my work (and I have a laptop which works too), I decided
to try to let the upgrade from woody to sarge be completely automated.
It is my respect for the debian package management tools that led me to
think this might "just work", and my disappointment is really just a
reflection of my high expectations.

> I use aptitude, so when I press 'g', it shows
> packages being removed because of conflicts, removed because no longer
> needed, installed to satisfy deps, etc.  (press 'M' or 'm' to see whether a

Which just proves again that the best distro is the one you are most
familiar and comfortable with.

> dpkg-reconfigure --all -u  should ask you all un-answered config questions.
> At least the ones that went through debconf.  Not all do.

I think I did that, maybe a couple of times, and yes it fixed a bunch of
problems.  Of course, it took me a while to figure out that there is a
tool called dpkg-reconfigure, what it's for, and how to use it.  I also
had to do a bunch of "apt-get -f install" which seemed to get past some
problems.

--
Bill Davidson
bdavidso at supercity.ns.ca