[nSLUG] Time to upgrade the server OS...

Donald Teed dteed at artistic.ca
Wed Sep 8 16:09:04 ADT 2004

The fedora pages says the new versions appear at 4 to 6
month intervals, and the updates are up to 3 months after
the next release.  6 + 3 = 9 months lifespan (possibly
a few months more if you had installed it when it first
appeared).  I don't know what it is in practice, but the
statement indicates what you could expect to see.
That means that in some years you would be updating
the OS twice in the same calendar year.  But again,
this might be acceptable to the sysadmin and the
business management if it is merely a 5x8 operation.

It is critical that the upgrade is tested on
another box/disk first.  Redhat treats fedora as
beta zone.  There are gotchas awaiting (as I saw
in RH 8 - a modperl 1.99 beta distributed with Apache 2
which could not have even passed the "Hello, World" test -
which was very clearly noted as incompatible with Apache 2
on the website having the source for modperl).

I got off the Redhat (community) bus for a number of reasons,
but one of them was the announcement around RH 8 that
they would support the OS for only one year.  They hoped
to coax people into upgrading to the paid for product and
instead drove many users to other distros.

--Donald Teed