[nSLUG] suggestion for a single machine UPS for use with Linux?

George N. White III aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca
Sun Nov 21 08:55:12 AST 2004

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004, rejean chamberland wrote:

> Just a little note! A year or so ago APC had a huge
> recall on one of their product ( it was an Ellipse,
> 250 or 300 that I had at the time ) anyway they
> replaced hundred of thousands of UPS for free ( I may
> have had to send mine at cost but it was shipped back
> to me for nothing) and it is still working. I live in
> Northern Cape Breton and I run a piston pump for water
> and I experience brown outs dozens of times a day and
> my computers have few failures; beside the odd modem,
> or CDburner stopping working occasionally!
> If it can help!
> Réjean

My brother (one of the few MIT EE's who does analog, and the guy who
taught HP how to build modern switching power supplies) used to work with
the people who founded APC.  Their high-end gear is excellent for
demanding applications (I use a big one at work for the satellite ground
station) but not to be confused with their low-end units.  If you don't
need super reliability (with the satellite we use, any data we miss is
gone forever!) it will be more cost-effective to spend a bit more to get a
high-quality system power supply and a higher-capacity el-cheapo
mass-market UPS.

I was visiting my mother New Mexico in Oct. when they had several days of
severe lightening.  This is an area where lightening is common. Everyone
uses UPS protection and many people unplug electronics when it is not in
use.  There was a hit near the house, probably the utility pole, just
after I plugged in the kettle for tea. I smelled ozone and found that the
cord to the kettle had been severed where it went into the (metal) base.
The microwave was running and I thought sparks were coming from that
direction -- maybe interaction between the electrical field from the
lightening and the microwaves?  My body had a hefty static charge that
drew a 6-inch spark, but so little current I didn't feel a thing.  Later,
the dishwasher tripped the circuit breaker, but was fine once the breaker
was reset.  Many businesses in town lost computers and phone systems.

--
George N. White III  <aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca>

!DSPAM:41a0908d101002452792415!