[nSLUG] suggestion for a single machine UPS for use with Linux?

rejean chamberland laudire2you at yahoo.ca
Sun Nov 21 01:29:05 AST 2004

http://www.short-media.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-1523.html

> > TheSmJ 07-17-2003, 08:47 AM
> > Found the diff!
> >
> > 1. The Back-UPS RS models have both 1-line 2-wire
> phone/fax/modem
> > data-line protection and 10/100base-T ethernet
> protection, where as the
> > Back-UPS XS models only has 1-line 2-wire
> phone/fax/modem protection.
>
>  On a SmartUPS 1500 at work, the ethernet protection
> is only good for
> 10baseT.  I got lots of packet loss when running at
> 100.  (and even worse at
> 1000, just for kicks :)  Maybe APC's is better
> quality and can handle
> 100baseTx.  Not that it matters for a cable modem at
> home, since that'll be
> 10.
>
>  I don't particularly like the SmartUPS 1500 or 3000
> models, because other
> than the usual dumb relay-contact on the serial
> port, they only speak a
> binary protocol that you have to run their
> proprietary software to handle.
> NUT's upscode II driver doesn't work with them.
>
>  I think APC is the best brand, if you're willing to
> pay for it.  Their
> higher-end models are more expensive than e.g.
> tripp-lite.  APC's
> USB-connected UPSes use a known protocol that
> apcupsd can handle easily, BTW.
>
>  As for UPSes not liking Halifax power, I've
> sometimes seen my logs show the
> UPS switching to battery and then saying the power
> has returned in less than
> a second.  I don't know how much wear and tear that
> puts on the battery, but
> I've never seen it stay on battery for any length of
> time when there wasn't
> a blackout.  I have an APC BackUPS CS 500.  (I think
> when I put my Athlon64
> on it, I'm going to have to get Cool'n'Quiet working
> so I can put the CPU in
> its 22W mode when on batteries, instead of up to
> 90W...)
>
>  I'd recommend APC.  They are the most Free
> software/open protocols
> friendly vendor AFAIK.  The hardware is high-quality
> stuff.  As for what
> model of APC, I haven't looked at the details of
> their power filtering
> recently.  But I think a BackUPS ES should do the
> trick for most stuff.  We
> have three BackUPS 500ES for the dual-Athlon cluster
> at work, and they've been
> working fine for at least a couple years.
>
> --
> #define X(x,y) x##y
> Peter Cordes ;  e-mail: X(peter at cor , des.ca)
>
> "The gods confound the man who first found out how
> to distinguish the hours!
>  Confound him, too, who in this place set up a
> sundial, to cut and hack
>  my day so wretchedly into small pieces!" --
> Plautus, 200 BC
>

> ATTACHMENT part 1.2 application/pgp-signature
name=signature.asc

Just a little note! A year or so ago APC had a huge
recall on one of their product ( it was an Ellipse,
250 or 300 that I had at the time ) anyway they
replaced hundred of thousands of UPS for free ( I may
have had to send mine at cost but it was shipped back
to me for nothing) and it is still working. I live in
Northern Cape Breton and I run a piston pump for water
and I experience brown outs dozens of times a day and
my computers have few failures; beside the odd modem,
or CDburner stopping working occasionally!
If it can help!
Réjean