[nSLUG] suggestion for a single machine UPS for use with Linux?

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Wed Nov 17 19:23:52 AST 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-17 at 18:14 -0400, George White wrote:
> The big question is whether replacement batteries will be available at
> reasonable prices in 5 years.  In general it is better to spend your money
> on a higher capacity unit to get some reserve in case your favorite uncle
> dies and leaves you his 25-in Trini monitor in his will as well as longer
> holdup times for those short outages.

I just checked into that.  I think I'm going with the APC BX-1000 (Back
UPS XS 1000) which uses replacement battery RBC32.  After Googling for a
bit, I think because this is a fairly new unit, few people have reverse
engineered them yet to provide replacments.  But I did find one for $64
USD:

http://www.powerqualityinc.com/apcbattery/rbc32.htm

This site even shows you what's inside, which is great if I ever want to
replace the part on my own from some other supplier.

I have also been reassured by a fellow here at work who has reverse
engineered several units himself to do his own replacements from specs
that it is doable, and that APC generally uses fairly common batteries
in their products.

Ben

!DSPAM:419bd066266931520544372!