[nSLUG] suggestion for a single machine UPS for use with Linux?

Timothy Legge tlegge at rogers.com
Wed Nov 17 18:09:35 AST 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-17 at 18:11, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-11-17 at 16:43 -0400, Donald Teed wrote:
> > I'd generally advise people to go with APC brand UPS
> > for a single machine set up, but I've never used one that
> > supports Linux 100%.  My old BF500 would never
> > report status changes properly when used with the
> > apcupsd.
>
> Interesting you should ask.  I was just beginning to look into UPSes,
> and am now considering a BX800-CN, $130 at Futureshop.  It is similar to
> the BX1000, which is apparently supported, or so says a user review
> here:
>
> http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/68781/pageno/3/order/D/rpem/ccd/productDetailReview.do

Hi

I have used a couple of them APC models for a LTSP server running FC1.
apcups works fine with both the "500" and "1000" as sold by future shop
or business depot.

Depending on the size of PC/server or number you might want to move up
to the "1000".  I put a xeon and a P4 (cpu only) on the 500 and the
server would start shutting down almost as soon as it went on batteries
(which it did frequently).  The "1000" has been running both machines
fine for a number of months with absolutely no down time.

I can find the exact model number if necessary, but they are the 500 and
1000 available at future shop, price club and business depot.

Tim

!DSPAM:419bcc29263921791618695!