[nSLUG] Forcing filesystem check on root

Crawford, Andrew (IT) Andrew.Crawford at morganstanley.com
Wed Nov 3 11:33:44 AST 2004

> mount -o remount,ro /   ....is refusing to co-operate with a 'busy'
> error / explanation.

There are files open for writing on the filesystem. You can't remount ro in this case.

Think about that for a second though. If there are files open for writing, logically this is not a good time to be running fsck. The kernel is saving you from yourself here.

> Would the 'Usual thing...', also be to take it to single user
> mode (which is difficult for me to do remotely..).

Not necessary. Just shutdown the offending processes, remount ro and fsck away.

Cheers,

Andrew

!DSPAM:4188fb83302274808239574!