[nSLUG] User Access Strategies

Rory rory at unixism.org
Mon Nov 1 15:35:38 AST 2004

use facl based permissions.   This gives you much finer-grain control
over file perms and inheritance than good old chmod g+s schemes.

take a look at man pages for getfacl and setfacl.   Also some popular
linux mags have had articles on their use.   facls have saved me a lot
of pain on file servers that need strange sharing between users.

Jeff MacDonald wrote:

>Hi
>
>We have 3 developers, that need access to all files in
>
>/usr/www/
>
>As well some of those files have to be owned by clients.
>
>Latly there has been alot of need for intervention of root [aka "me"]
>to chown/chmod files etc, and it's getting to be a pain in the arse.
>
>The solution I have come up with from research etc is to make a group
>[lets say, "dev"] and chgrp all files to that group. Then chmod g+rwx
>all files, and set the sticky bit so new files/directories inherit
>from their parents. Finally change the umask of the developers to 002...
>
>My other idea was to make a "pseudo account" that all the developers use..
>this seems great, but also seems to go against everything i believe in :)
>
>Finally, give the guys sudo to chmod/chgrp, but that just seems crazy.
>
>anyways, let me know your opinions.

!DSPAM:41868f73200856884621361!