[nSLUG] User Access Strategies

Jeff MacDonald bignose at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 13:30:18 AST 2004

Hi

We have 3 developers, that need access to all files in

/usr/www/

As well some of those files have to be owned by clients.

Latly there has been alot of need for intervention of root [aka "me"]
to chown/chmod files etc, and it's getting to be a pain in the arse.

The solution I have come up with from research etc is to make a group
[lets say, "dev"] and chgrp all files to that group. Then chmod g+rwx
all files, and set the sticky bit so new files/directories inherit
from their parents. Finally change the umask of the developers to 002...

My other idea was to make a "pseudo account" that all the developers use..
this seems great, but also seems to go against everything i believe in :)

Finally, give the guys sudo to chmod/chgrp, but that just seems crazy.

anyways, let me know your opinions.

--
Jeff MacDonald
http://www.bignose.ca