[nSLUG] Hardware versus software RAID

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Mon Nov 1 11:03:41 AST 2004

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, Donald Teed wrote:

> Some of the Slashdot types seem to think that software RAID
> does perform well even under a high load production environment.
> Does anyone have real world experience with the
> performance of software RAID (I'm thinking Linux md)
> with SCSI in high traffic servers such as file servers and mail servers?

I've run SW RAID1 with SCSI on a high traffic web server with no problem.
I've got clients running some *really* busy RAID5 IDE raid arrays which
are noticeably faster than similarly specced hardware RAID5 SCSI arrays.

The only advantage from my point of view is that hardware RAID5 arrays
usually give you hot swap capabilities. The downside is the RAID5
controller is so expensive that only 1 will fit in the budget so it
becomes a SPOF, whereas IDE cards are cheap so you can have multiple cards
to reduce data loss issues if one dies and takes out the drives attached
to it.

Cheers... Dop.

!DSPAM:41865055182554321537682!