[nSLUG] your own SMTP server

Jeff Warnica jeffw at chebucto.ns.ca
Sun Mar 14 13:47:13 AST 2004

Or with some (serial) console redirection. You might need name brand
'server grade' hardware, but such abilities exist in the PC world. PCI
serial console cards exist, the only one Ive seen of late is $350us.
Attach the consoles to a Portmaster, and a modem to it; last time I
looked a PM2er could be had for $35us on eBay.

This will help you if the networking on a particular machine is screw
up, or it can't boot. I cant think of a situation where you wouldn't be
able to access the machine in question, and the PM, that wouldn't be the
CoLo's fault/responsibility... If you machine is in a CoLo, it is
unlikely that you could do anything if its network is screwed, so the
value of dial in is questionable.