[nSLUG] your own SMTP server

M Taylor mctylr at privacy.nb.ca
Sun Mar 14 12:55:09 AST 2004

On Sun, Mar 14, 2004 at 11:03:13AM -0400, Vikram Chhatre wrote:

> >If you're serious about it you'll probably have some out-of-band
> >solution in place so that when your IP connection is offline you can
> >still access your system.
> >
> Access by modem you mean?

You could, with the system I colocate I have out-of-band (OOB) access
via a ssh connection redirected (via an older Cisco router) to a serial
console running getty.

For a really neat complete control, there is the PC Weasel, www.realweasel.com
which creates a fake video card that is redirected to your serial console,
and this gives you access to the BIOS and thus basically total remote access
to the PC.

'High-end' x86 servers also are increasingly coming with Lights-Out Management
(LOM or iLOM) that is a similar thing, they offer various connections,
from serial or modem connections to telnet/www access via a dedicated
Ethernet interface in the LOM. Available from Dell, HP, IBM and likely
a bunch of others.