[nSLUG] Re: Recent Patches and Updates.

Kevin Fleming kfleming at accesswave.ca
Sun Mar 14 12:18:52 AST 2004

SNIP
>    2. Re:  Off Topic: ISP filtering (George N. White III)
SNIP
> Message: 2
> Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 08:33:05 -0400
> From: "George N. White III" <aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca>
> Subject: Re: [nSLUG] Off Topic: ISP filtering

> People buying systems with Windows "pre-installed" should refuse to
> purchase a machine that doesn't have the current patches.
> ************************************

Hi George:

    I recently had occasion to buy a new machine, with WinXP home
pre-installed on the hard drive by a vendor in the local
Halifax/Dartmouth area.  I sell the odd one now and again, but very few
these days, unfortunately.

    I took the machine out to set it up for the customer, being as her
machine being replaced was an old Packard Bell machine that was running
a copy of Win95, with no updates or other enhancements beyond the
standard install.

	Her machine had been isolated from the world since day one, and had
NEVER seen the Internet, let alone a virus or worm.  Her main use of the
machine was for doing income taxes once a year, and running the odd game
to entertain the grandchildren.  She still has no Internet access at her
home, so I took the machine home to connect to the web via my internal
network.

	I connected to the web with no difficulty, and after pointing the
machine at the Windows Update site, I was pleased to note that the
software had been TOTALLY brought up to date for ALL the security
updates, and there were only two updates that needed to be installed,
those being the AMD processor update to WinXP, and one for the network
card installed in the machine.  Everything else had already been
installed on the drive, thanks to the copy of WinXP installed on the
machine by my supplier.

	I fail to see the problem.  Don't your suppliers give you that level of
service?

Kevin Fleming

kfleming at accesswave.ca

This email message and any files transmitted with it, may contain
confidential information and is intended only for the individual to whom
it is addressed.  If you are not the addressee you should not
disseminate, distribute or copy this email. Please notify the sender
immediately by email if you have received this email by mistake and
delete this email from your system.Email transmissions cannot be
guaranteed to be secure or error free as information could be
contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept any liability for
errors or omissions in the contents of this message that arise as a
result of email transmissions. If verification is required please
request a hard copy version.