[nSLUG] Off Topic: ISP filtering

George N. White III aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca
Sun Mar 14 08:33:05 AST 2004

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004, M Taylor wrote:

> I have seen too many dial-up users, including a computer programmer and
> linux user, that skip downloading security patches via dial-up since it is
> so slow given the size of the patches these days and they have a false
> sense of security because of their slow connection and somewhat limited
> amount of time they are connected. Dial-up machines get just as infected
> by worms, I don't of any worms that skip dial-up machines, and since they
> all attack random IP addresses, the user is still at risk. So I expect
> it would be a bonus for nearly 95% of your users.

People buying systems with Windows "pre-installed" should refuse to
purchase a machine that doesn't have the current patches.  If software
vendors were made responsible for the effects of bugs, Microsoft would
require retailers to sell only fully-patched systems.

--
George N. White III  <aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca>
  Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada