[nSLUG] kernel setup stack overlaps lilo

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Sat Mar 13 21:47:17 AST 2004

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004, Paul Boudreau wrote:

> Dop Ganger wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 13 Mar 2004, Paul Boudreau wrote:
[snip]
> >>was add a few icons, a mail/pim client and some odds
> >>and ends to a free desktop environment (Gnome) that
> >>half the stuff doesn't work right in anyways.
> >
> >Because they also wrote Mono. Also there's Red Carpet
> >Enterprise for machine management (which you might think of as Zen for
> >Linux, after a fashion). RCE is fairly integral to NNLS, as well.

[snip]

> You're right, after seeing this link
> http://www.sys-con.com/linux/article.cfm?id=997
> I can see I was off a bit, so perhaps I should rephrase
> my assertion as, Can someone tell me what makes
> Ximian worth $15-20 million U.S. when all they've
> done is added a few things to Gnome.

I did, above. I've left it in, so you can read it. Novell is currently
betting heavily on Linux, and need to get Netware type services running on
Linux (hence NNLS, which involves RCE). RCE does not have very much at all
to do with Gnome. I'm guessing you're a home user that isn't overly
experienced with dealing with multiple servers (and when I mean multiple,
I'm talking about a rack of servers plus supporting hardware, which is
usually on the order of 40-50 servers). Once you get past this point,
scalability of management becomes a major issue - this is what people pay
for (to pick an example) the RedHat Update Network for.

> As far as all the Mono stuff goes, I'm not a coder, just
> someone who dabbles, but from what I read, C# is no
> better than Java, does pretty much the same thing and
> is a legal quagmire waiting to happen. When you can
> get something more than Muine (?) written in it, I might
> reconsider.

Er. You *do* realise that the idea is it's going to compete with the whole
Microsoft .Net suite? And that once Mono is complete, you'll be able to
take .Net code and run it under Linux? Which means you can then take code
written for Windows and run it under Linux, thus ensuring better
scalability? You don't? Perhaps you might want to read through
http://www.go-mono.com/faq.html then.

> You sound like you know them, can I still get a Rupert doll? I like that
> part...

Well, I don't see any reason why they'd want to give you one, but if you
ask nicely I don't see any reason why not. I believe they're handed out
fairly freely at trade shows; I know they're at RWL in Toronto next month,
if you're desperate then you could attend and pick one up then.

Cheers... Dop.