[nSLUG] kernel setup stack overlaps lilo

Paul Boudreau pbx at eastlink.ca
Sat Mar 13 21:09:49 AST 2004

Dop Ganger wrote:

>On Sat, 13 Mar 2004, Paul Boudreau wrote:
>
>[not a lot in comparison to how much was quoted]
>

>>And...can someone tell me why Ximian was sold for,
>>what I heard was $50 million when all they ever did
>>

>Terms were not disclosed, but your figures aren't particularly accurate.
>

>>was add a few icons, a mail/pim client and some odds
>>and ends to a free desktop environment (Gnome) that
>>half the stuff doesn't work right in anyways.
>>

>Because they also wrote Mono. Also there's Red Carpet
>Enterprise for machine management (which you might think of as Zen for
>Linux, after a fashion). RCE is fairly integral to NNLS, as well.
>

>>You mention funding for research and the like, but how
>>much of that money goes to new development, come on.
>>

>Well, I'm not quite following your argument here, but in Ximian's case the
>money is being used for (amongst other things) new offices in Cambridge,
>and buying new computers. The developers at Ximian bought all their own
>machines out of their own money, after all (I heard that from the guy who
>orchestrated the deal, but it's also corroborated on nat.org). It's going
>to pay for continued development on Mono, Gnome, and paying for Nat and
>Miguel to come up with stuff (have you ever checked into how much stuff
>Miguel has done? You'll be surprised).
>

>>It's becoming all about lawyers now (those bastards).
>>

>Only if you have tunnel vision and an axe to grind.
>
>Cheers... Dop.

You're right, after seeing this link
http://www.sys-con.com/linux/article.cfm?id=997
I can see I was off a bit, so perhaps I should rephrase
my assertion as, Can someone tell me what makes
Ximian worth $15-20 million U.S. when all they've
done is added a few things to Gnome.
As far as all the Mono stuff goes, I'm not a coder, just
someone who dabbles, but from what I read, C# is no
better than Java, does pretty much the same thing and
is a legal quagmire waiting to happen. When you can
get something more than Muine (?) written in it, I might
reconsider. You sound like you know them, can I still
get a Rupert doll? I like that part...