[nSLUG] kernel setup stack overlaps lilo

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Sat Mar 13 20:31:59 AST 2004

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004, Jason Kenney wrote:

> Take Palm and 3M for example.

Yes, two completely unrelated companies.

> 3M owned Palm

No, they didn't.

Here's how it went, as far as I can remember:

Early 1996: USRobotics acquired Palm
Late 1996: Rumbles of 3Com takeover
Early 1997: 3Com took over USRobotics (and hence Palm)
1999-ish: Palm was spun off as a separate entity
2000-ish: USR kinda sorta spun off as a separate entity

So, essentially, 3M was never involved (apart from, perhaps, as an
institutional investor). I can say quite canonically that 3Com took over
USR which had taken over Palm, because I was working in USR R&D at the
time on the first beta units of the Palm Pilot to hit the UK.

Cheers... Dop.